500 Caves

Five hours of the same class today. Thank goodness we’re travelling tomorrow to the villas. I’m not exactly sure what the “villas” are, but I’ll keep you posted.

The highlights of my day today in Orvieto were 1) seeing underground Orvieto and 2) eating at the best restaurant here for the third time this week.

Underground Orvieto is a system of caves below the city, created a very long time ago. The tour guide did not speak very good English, so I zoned out for bits of her talk.  I know the caves were used for olive oil production and also raising pigeons.  Nearly 500 caves have been excavated, but that’s only half.  Many of the caves are private property, belonging to the people who own the land above the cave.  Often times, the owners use their cave as a wine cellar because of the temperature. And that’s all the kulture I have for today.

Our restaurant, Trattoria del Moro, is a hole-in-the-wall kind of place. Mom, please look up a recipe for “carbonara tradizionale.” I had this pasta twice within our three visits. Clearly, it’s delicious.

Outside Trattoria del Moro.