The Car-less City

My time in Venice ended today after a few more church visits. The churches did start to blend together, but I really tried to appreciate each one by thinking about what it would be like to go to Mass there.

Canals of Venice behind me. There are over 200 bridges in the city.
I'm standing on one of them. 

The most exciting part about the six hour journey back to Orvieto was me almost exploding from drinking too much water. Parts of Italy are very hilly and curvy, and that makes my head spin a bit. During our lunch stop, I decided to buy the biggest bottle of water the gas station sold to help me feel better. Well, I felt better, but a couple hours later on the bus it hit me. After driving up to STAND STILL TRAFFIC (luckily just a short time), we stopped for a break and I was the first to restroom. Just baby sips of water after that.

We have three straight days of class this week, and then I’ll be travelling to Cinque Terre. Cinque Terre is an area on the northern coast of Italy made up of five towns. (Cinque means “five” and terre means “land.” Kulture at its finest.) A few groups visited Cinque Terre during our last free weekend (when I went to Florence) and absolutely loved it. Next weekend: lots of beach, hiking, and swimming. My perfect vacation.

So more pictures from the weekend. 

Grand Canal in the background. 

In the city.

Dinner at Trattoria Bepi. The seafood place.


I took over gondola rowing for a bit. 

Gelato candid. This is the incredible dessert you're missing out on in America. 

The great gondolier and tour guide.

Jane and I about to get on the bus boat. Last ride in Venice!