Fast Food

Bagnaia and Bomarzo. I had never heard of either of these places, but that’s where our adventures led us today. This morning after a quick breakfast we made the walk down the hill to meet our bus. Usually the bus rides put me right to sleep, but I think my body is finally curing itself of jetlag. Normal sleeping habits commence.

In Bagnaia, we visited the Villa Lante. Apparently, the villas in Italy are a big part of the country. Before our visit I didn’t know that—learning more kulture everyday. Hope you are too. Villas were used as getaways for rich people back in the day. The Villa Lante was a villa that belonged to the papacy. So whenever the pope needed a break, he could go there and relax. The whole villa was a huge, beautiful garden with fountains and a central lodge. I wouldn’t mind being the pope for a day.

Here’s the coolest picture ever taken at Villa Lante: got it on the first try.

After the Villa Lante, we went to Bomarzo. But it was near lunch time. And where else to eat some great Italian lunch in Italy than at the gas station? Well, that’s where we ate lunch. I decided to buy some Italian cookies and call it a day.

Italian gas station. Was there no better place to go?   

Bomarzo: a garden of weird statues. I’m not exactly sure what kulture there was to be learned at this place, but we went anyway. The statues were all huge, mostly monsters and mythological creatures. That’s all I have to say about it.

One of the many very large monster statues in the garden.

On the walk from the bottom of the hill (where our bus drops us off) to the top of the hill (where our hotel is), there is a place that sells gyros. It’s the closest thing to fast food in Orvieto. Unlike in America, where you can find just about any type of restaurant you desire, Italy only has Italian restaurants. The Italian food has been great, but I was craving something different. I decided on the way up the hill to stop and grab a gyros. Greek food at its best.

Tomorrow I’ll be traveling to Florence for the weekend! My train, which will be my first train ride of the trip, leaves after we finish classes. So for the next couple days, you’ll be hearing from me in Florence. Rick Steves has given me some suggestions for the weekend, but if you have any more for me, send them my way.

Another picture at the Villa Lante: Hunt Scholars in Italy!