Siesta


Ah, what a fabulously relaxing day. I don’t have too much kulture to share with you considering today was our FIRST FREE DAY. No long classes, no early morning bus rides, no sprints through the city. Needless to say, the free day was well deserved.

I had to wake up to turn in my essay at least by noon today.  So I hit snooze on my alarm five times and finally woke up around 10 am.  The rest of my day was very relaxing. I went on a run in the morning, walked around browsing shops in Orvieto with Caroline, then did as the locals do and went in for “siesta” in the afternoon. (Here’s some kulture for you: In Orvieto, the whole town shuts down after lunchtime. The typically social streets are empty. All shops and restaurants close and people go home to rest before dinner. That’s siesta. Siesta means “nap,” so that’s where it comes from.)

For dinner, I had some of the best pasta in Italy. L’Oste del Re is the restaurant.  And any great dinner is always topped off with gelato.  Lucky for us, our favorite gelato place is right next door to L’Oste.

Looking forward to the weekend in Venice with the class—beginning at 5:45 am tomorrow morning.